Wednesday 31 December 2014

My Short New Year Story.


It was the night before the New Year...

And looking over the bridge was a young man who wanted to end his life.  He had lost everything and was too disillusioned to live yet another day.

Then, something strange happened as nature came to life. His surrounding began to whisper into his heart. It was a series of  soft wooing to keep a flickering flame alight and a dialogue soon ensued.

Why end your life? Isn't life beautiful?” the rushing river below spoke.

Beautiful for whom? Too much has happened and I can’t go on anymore.”

A bubble floated up with this message, “Son, we can choose to hate the rain or dance in it.”



I am in no mood for festivities. I have lost my fortune, my goals and my dreams. I am well spent.”

Every child begins the world again,” the nearby shores cooed.





The young man kept quiet, musing. “I can’t face this world with my mistakes. I can’t wake up tomorrow and do it all over again. I am afraid I may fail.”

The leaves beside rustling, “Ultimately, we know deeply that the other side of every fear is freedom.


Well, you may be right, but what is freedom without hope.”





Between the wish and the thing, the world lies waiting. Don’t ever forget that,” the bushes and leaves crooned in unison.



Why am I talking to you guys? What do river, leaves and bushes know? I hate living. And nothing gives me more pleasure now than to end it.

At this moment, the moon brightened. “Son, darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

The young man gave pause and squinted. “Love? I am too exhausted to love life back.” 

The moon released a beam illumed with these words, “We can only learn to love by loving.”




Suddenly, the man shook his head and buried his face in his hands. Quiet and still…

The bridge then creaked with a word or two. “Our faces become our biographies. Face the world, start a fresh page, tell a new story.

How do I start? How do I face tomorrow?” the man sobbed.

Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible,” the moon and river echoed.


I guess you guys are right…sorry (sigh) But where do I go from here? What do I prepare for the New Year?

The cool nocturnal breeze gathered and swirled around the man. “If you’re offered a seat on a rocket ship, don’t ask what seat! Just get on.


Mm, cute point…maybe I should think this through. Maybe life still have some surprises for me at the bend. Thanks for the heads up guys.” The young man walked away from the bridge, surveyed his surrounding, and hollered, “Any parting shot for the New Year?


Life is beautiful,” was the returning chorus. Cheerz.










* Source: Daily Gratitude: 365 Days of Reflection (Photos and Wisdom to Enrich Your Spirit) National Geographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment