Tuesday 14 January 2020

A love letter to Anna.

A love letter to you.

Dear, I recall I have written many letters to you. When I was in London 25 years ago, all alone, I promised to write you one letter each day. And for the most part of it, I have done that. 

Each letter was written to describe to you the most mundane aspect of my life there. How I just bought a rice cooker. When I cooked my first pot of rice. How I used a fork to scoop and fill up a bowl. How I slept at night. What position I took. How I woke up thinking of you. How I stared blankly at the high ceiling. How I wished you were here with me. How I long to hold you. How I missed you. 

They said absence makes the heart grow fonder. That is true. That period of separation left a void in my heart, a longing I could only fill with words that still fell short. 

Now, after 20 years of marriage, I am writing you this letter. It’s been a while since I last penned. I intentionally reminded myself that this is a love letter because I have been guilty of not expressing it enough. Sometimes even taking you for granted. 

Anna, I do not want to forget that it was love that made the ink come alive in my heart. For words are always flighty without the weight of love to ground it and make it come to pass. 

Dear, without love, this letter is nothing but words occupying space. Likewise, without love, our marriage would be no different from two tenants occupying a room for a contracted season.

But, my love, love letters can only go so far. Words without deeds are dead, and in our marriage of 20 years, blessed with three lovely kids to nurture, we have poured so much into this union. 

All of which were made possible, through the tough times and good ones, by unembellished love, that is, a love that is willing to wait for a lifetime just to enjoy even the smallest of changes. Yet, however small, they all add up to a love fully consummated. 

For this love works tirelessly behind the scenes to bring up the kids, brush their teeth, tie their laces, and dress them up for school. One day, this same love will be sitting by her lover’s side as he heaves his last breath. Or he by her side to hold her hands till the end. 

Indeed, true love boast of nothing of itself; for over the years, its warmth glows like a fire in the wintry gale and its light shines, undimmed, to guide the lover home. 

So, thank you dear, for showing me that true love fights to the end, and at times, even stands alone in the toughest of fights. Your undimmed devotion all these years have made my words and our vows come alive in my heart. 

I am indeed the most blessed man in the world, not with riches or fame, but with a love that has enriched my life beyond words and beyond all the attention I will ever desire. 


Love, always.
Happy 20th Anniversary.



No comments:

Post a Comment